Forum » General Notary Discussion

Please sign up or login if you wish to post in the forums

EIN or Social Security Number

1 post, 1 voice


joanbergst 90 posts almost 12 years ago

Social Security Card or EIN number

You will need a social security card or employer identification number (EIN). If you are uncomfortable faxing over your Social Security number (which I think you should be) to a signing company or any other potential client, you can apply for an EIN and use it in place of your Social Security Number.

An employer identification number (EIN), also known as a Tax ID number, is a nine-digit number that the IRS assigns to business entities. The IRS uses this number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business tax returns. Employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, non-profit organizations, trusts and estates, government agencies, certain individuals and other business entities use EINS.

Apply as a sole proprietor!
You can get an EIN by mail, telephone, and fax or on the Internet. First you must fill out Form SS-4 Application for Employer Identification Number. You can get this form at your local Social Security Office, or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676.

In addition, the IRS website is . Complete the SS-4 at the prompt for Forms and Publications and you can instantly get your new number. Everyone in our industry accepts these EIN numbers as a Tax Payer I.D. Just remember most companies will not pay you without one of these numbers forwarded to a signing or title company.